Susan’s Gluten Free, Dairy Free Berry Muffins (With Egg Free Option)
This recipe is one of the best muffin recipes that we have ever encountered here at the Gluten Free RN office. Nadine makes these muffins on almost a weekly basis for her family, and she is always modifying the recipe to add creative, and new ideas. We suggest making your own substitutions, and additions to all recipes. Always have fun with your baking and be creative!
½ cup shortening, softened (I use 1 cube Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Gluten Free Flour mix (the options here are endless, see bottom for ideas)***
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional) – Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts, Coconut
3 ripe bananas (The options here are also endless) – Berries, Chocolate, Ginger, ect.
Preheat oven to 375
Mix Shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mashed bananas (or other fruit) Add eggs or substitute mixture. Add dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Finally add pecans or other nuts.
Divide into 12 well-greased muffin tins. The dough will seem a little dry. Press with wet hands to spread.
Bake at 375 for 15 minute or until light brown and a knife inserted comes out clean.
Makes 12-18 depending on the size of the muffins.
*To make the vegan version, replace 3 large eggs with:
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons gluten free egg replacer
- 3 Tablespoons warm water
***Gluten Free Flour Ideas:
- 1 ¼ cup brown rice flour, ½ cup potato starch, ¼ cup tapioca starch
- Use a pre-made GF flour mix
- Make your own creative flour mix – Nadine changes her flour blend quite often. She suggests using a mixture of different gluten free flours, and to always include a high protein option like Montina.