Say Goodbye To Your Gluten Filled Makeup Bag
Do you really need to worry about health and beauty products such as shampoo and hair spray? How about mascara and eyeshadow? Do these products even contain wheat, barley, rye or oatmeal?
The simple answer is ‘yes’ most cosmetic products do contain some form of gluten and can cause symptoms, especially for people that are exquisitely sensitive or have the rash DH.
People with gluten intolerance, celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis ARE sensitive to gluten in their personal care products. Everything that is placed on your skin has the potential to enter in your bloodstream. Accidental ingestion can also happen if any gluten containing ingredients are on your skin, hands or around your mouth. Although you might not eat your eye shadow or mascara it does have the potential to get on your hands, and then into your mouth, eyes or nose.
The Gluten Free RN has set out on a mission to find gluten free beauty products. We have formed a list of companies that claim to have gluten free cosmetics and beauty products.
Please use this list of companies as a resource guide for finding products. With the following precautions in mind:
- We have not tested every product from every company and therefore cannot guarantee that every product is 100% free from gluten.
- Companies change formulas and ingredients in their products often. When ordering a product we recommend checking the ingredients, and emailing the company for verification.
- Everyone has different skin. While one product may work for me it might not work for you. We recommend testing products on your skin before purchasing them. Many companies will give away or sell samples that can be used as a tester before you decide to make a purchase.
The Hidden Ingredients
Gluten can be very sneaky and as many of you know appears in all different places. Below is a list of the many ingredients gluten can hide in your beauty products:
- Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour
- Dextrin Palmitate
- Hydrolyzed Malt Extract
- Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch
- Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour
- Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract
- Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil
- Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten
- Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch
- Wheat Amino Acids
- Wheat Germ Glycerides
- Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride
- Wheat Protein
- Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate
- Yeast Extract
Gluten Free Cosmetics Companies
Below is a list of companies that claim to have mostly or all gluten free products. As a reminder: We have not tested all of the products or companies on this list. If you have highly sensitive skin we suggest contacting the company for a list of ingredients and testing their product on your skin. The Gluten Free RN can also test any product for the presence of gluten under 10ppm at our downtown office.